Hashtag: Summer Aesthetic 2020













Hello friends, 

It's been a weird year, huh? I'm still kind of just running around like a chicken without it's head and trying to find some sort of purpose that doesn't seem futile throughout all of the chaos that is 2020. All of the usual festivals, art shows and car shows have been canceled; as most of you already know. So that leaves art folks, like me, to figure out other ways to stay creative and make some money a long the way. Though, I can't lie, I really miss the energy of being around other artists and classic car owners and how that invigorates the creativity within myself. 

That all being said, I also must mention that I really don't mind all the alone time. I'm a chronic introvert and find the time by myself to be peaceful, allowing me to really think straight. I get overwhelmed easily, especially if I'm trying to work and there's too many people around. That's why, back in the before times, if you'd see me at a festival, there was a slim chance you'd catch me live painting. Not that I can't live paint, but there's just too much going on at any given time at those shows for me to get comfortable enough to sit down and really concentrate on painting. 

This time away from everything and everyone has given me a lot of time to reflect on what I've been doing and where I want to go as far as my art career. Yet, this is not anything new for me. It seems like I'm always on a never-ending journey of self reflection. Maybe that's just what being an artist is all about. I've got so many projects that are either already started or still noodling up in my brain, just waiting to come into the land of the living eventually. Slowly, but surely (sort of) I'm working on another zine, but this one is a much deeper and much more personal project and it's taken me quite a while to get it really rolling. I'm strongly considering taking some time and going on a small trip somewhere to go work on it. I really need to just set aside some dedicated time to write, and I just haven't yet. 

I hope you all are doing well through all of this. I know I'm not the only artist that has been struggling this year, but I think the best thing we can all do is continue to create. The second we stop creating- that's when 2020 wins, we throw in the towel and just lay down. We can't do that. Some of the greatest art in history has been created in times of turmoil and great stress. If nothing else, use the chaos of the moment inspire something deeper in your works. Earlier in the year, when quarantine first hit in Pennsylvania, I vomited out a series of paintings that I never shared, and haven't completely finished. The only people that have seen them are myself, my roommate and my dad. They're deeply personal and full of symbolism, and truthfully, most of them are really difficult for me to look at right now because the state of mind I was in when I made them. But, at the time, they were deeply cathartic and healing....really they were the only thing that kept me mildly sane when shit hit the fan. 

Eventually, and hopefully soon, I would like to finish them. They're sitting in my office, tucked away, and out of sight for now. There's one in particular that haunts me even when I'm not looking at it, yet this is the one that I'm itching to finish first- probably to get it out of my system. Maybe one day I'll share them here. They're not really an Instagram type post, they're not exactly for wide public consumption and I know only a handful of people even glance at this blog....thankfully.

This post has taken on a wildly different tone that the photos above may suggest. Originally, I had the intention of writing a light and fluffy little 'hello, I'm back' type of deal....and we've found ourselves at the corner of depressing apocalypse art and heartfelt advice. Strange. But isn't that the millennial way? Cheery on the outside, doom and gloom on the inside? Any way, if you're still reading...I hope the visuals were pleasing and the text was.....relatable? Stay healthy. Stay well. Stay hydrated. We'll chat soon. 

xo. h. 

Comments

Popular Posts