May The Thrift Gods Smile Down Upon You





















Hello friends, 

Recently Bryan and I went out with our good friends Jessi and Pete for a full day of exploring thrift stores out in their area that we hadn't been to before. I think we went to a total of 4 stores that day, which is probably the most Bry and I have done in a really long time. He didn't find too much, other than a really sweet chili pepper Hawaiian shirt and a pair of little kid's fingerless, cat gloves that he plans to wear for his character, Cupcake. *OCTOBER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER* get ready for some spooky shit sooooon!! 

I wanted to share some of the pieces I picked up because there's been a lot of buzz around second hand clothes in the past few years and it's something I really believe in. A few years ago, when I was blogging more regularly, I had planned on doing a huge post about the fast fashion industry and their effect on the environment, and I want to revisit that soon. But, in researching that post I learned how really soulless that industry is and how doing one small act of thrifting can have a huge impact on that. Each year, the average American will throw away 81 POUNDS of clothes. These items could easily be recycled, donated, up-cycled or given away to shelters or friends, but most people do not do this. 

Not only does donating your clothes save them from going into a landfill, but it contributes to a community of good depending on which store you donate them to. Some stores employ individuals with special needs, some donate to local shelters, you just have to do some research and see how and where they use the money and donations. I plan to do a big post some time soon documenting some of my favorite local stores and more fact on thrifting vs. new fashion. 

I think I'm going through another goth phase, I don't know. I recently dyed my hair dark red, it's not as dark as I wanted it but I figured I'd start off slow and work my way towards black. I haven't been craving color in my wardrobe, all of my art has been in black and white (with touches of red), and I've retreated back into my black nails habit of 2005. Basically, I'm working on living out all of the fantasies that 15 year old Holly wished for, mostly just the dark hair (sorry, mom). So, since a couple lovely folks bought art recently, I had a little cash and what better way to spend it that a thrift day. All of this and a few extras I didn't photograph was a little under $50. How could you not love second hand strictly for that reason?! 

My thrifting goals are usually pretty simple of late. Black. Harley Davidson. Wolf or any other large printed animal shirt. I've been on a massive search for those crazy, tacky wolf howling at the moon or giant tree frog shirts of the 90's, ya know the ones you would get at the zoo that no one but idiots like me think are cool. Also, can we talk about that insane Pocahontas shirt!?!!? LIKE HOW DID I FIND THAT????? For anyone that doesn't know already or can't tell by my caps-lock, Pocahontas is my favorite Disney movie, to the point where I have saved and regularly still carry my Pocahontas backpack from kindergarten. Legit. 

Well my dear friends, I think that's about it for this post. I'll be back in the near future talking more about my thrift game, maybe with a styled thrifting look or two, and eventually a list of my favorite Pgh stores. 

xo. h. 


























Comments

Popular Posts