A Witch Working Through Winter









Hello friends, 

Winter and I usually don't vibe. I talked about this recently on my personal instagram. Most of you that know me know that I'm definitely a summer baby. I love the warmth of the sun and spending the entire day out in the woods. But in the winter, I have felt like I can't do that. This year, I've really been trying to make sure that I am taking in winter in a more positive way. I really am trying to appreciate the colder months for what they are. 

Part of that journey has involved making my space inside as pleasant to the eye as possible. When Bryan and I moved back in with his parents, and our space was drastically reduced, we decided that the decorations and the way we set things up was a big priority. Luckily, he is just as visually oriented as I am. We have a pair of cube shelves in our little living room area that I have taken over as storage for my Wiccan materials and altar space. These shelves change every couple of days. I move things around all the time, it's a meditative practice for me. I will rearrange my crystals, agitate my oils daily, and sit beneath the shelves and read my books.  The winter months are used for reflection and reading for me. Turning inward and looking at the year that has past, winter is the perfect time to process all that has happened and plan for the future. It is a slow time. The placement of the shelves as the focal point of the room really helps to keep things interesting when we're inside so much. 

It's been an interesting task to try and find things to do in the cold that I find enjoyable. Thankfully, my best friend, Amanda, loves the winter and she's always on the lookout for something to do in the snow. Recently, we did a photo shoot that I have written a post about that will be out some time soon. That was seriously one of the most fun things I've done in the cold in the longest time. I am really proud of that shoot. It was all her concept and styling, but I felt like my photography really turned out beautifully. And, I want to do more projects like that in the future. Bryan and I have also been trying to explore some of the neighboring towns and exploring some of the smaller shops in Pittsburgh. Maybe I'll do a post in the future of my favorite local places that most folks don't know about. He and I cashed in a coin jar that we've been saving for about two years now, and spent that on a brand new camera. It's something he's wanted for a really long time. He loves photography and wants to eventually make it a profession. I'd like to share some of his photography on here eventually, too. 

Basically, I'm doing my best to actually appreciate the second half of the year. It feels like when I was younger, I was just stubborn and never really gave it a real chance. And with the help of some of my favorite people, it's opened my eyes to beauty that I never noticed. The love I've found for winter truthfully makes me really excited about the spring and summer months....I know, I haven't really changed. 

xo. ❤ h.















Comments

Popular Posts